Saturday, November 19, 2011

Learn Guitar Month, Pt. 4

"I've been trying to find a way for the terror and the beauty to live together in one song. I know it's possible."
That quote, by Sonny Sharrock, has always stuck with me, well before I ever had the notion to pickup the guitar.

Sharrock had wanted to play saxophone. But because he had asthma, he picked up the guitar. However, he was determined to apply the expressiveness of his idols - John Coltrane, Albert Ayler, and Ornette Coleman - to his guitar.

I was first introduced to Sonny through Pharaoh Sanders' influential album, Tauhid. Others likely best know his work on the theme song to parody talk show, Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

His style, his playing, is just other worldly. He comes at the instrument from a place I just can't get my head around. 

I could create several posts about Sonny. His music deserves to be heard much more. In fact, that could be on the horizon. Until then, here are a couple of songs that, for me, are simply beautiful. (Perhaps I'll post up the terror on a later date.) First is "Broken Toys" from his album, Guitar.



And then "Who Does She Hope to Be?" taken from his last album, Ask The Ages, and one that reunited him with Pharaoh Sanders.


Thoughts about learning guitar, or about Sonny? Hit me up in the comments section.




No comments:

Post a Comment