Friday, April 15, 2011

Chickenin' Out And Then A Root For It - Shombalor

At a certain point in my life, I turned away from everything that approached any kind of popularity.

I loved Pearl Jam's Ten, but never purchased another album by them and for me, Ten remains the high water mark of their work. I followed, rabidly, the Red Hot Chili Peppers until their breakthrough into mainstream, circa Blood Sugar Sex Magik. After that, I found something lacking. I've argued for hours with friends the superlative merits of Gish over Siamese Dream.

Ok. I immediately recognize two things about myself with the above statements. One: I am dating myself.

Two, I am a music snob, and I may have prematurely dismissed some good music because it became popular.

Well, I'll own that.

I am a music snob. I like what I like, and I know for a fact that I have ignored music that reached the mainstream. And I probably have missed out on a lot of good music.

However, I have found a lot of great music as a result.

Yes, I missed the evolution of Pearl Jam. And I dismissed Queens of the Stone Age. And I was shamefully late to the White Stripes party. But, as a result, I have discovered musical treasures that would otherwise have remained buried for me. And I'll accept that trade off.

At any rate, I still do it. I search for my own buried treasures. Lately, I'm uncovering Doo Wop. My introduction to the genre might be unorthodox (The Marcels, by way of American Werewolf In London), but I'm hooked.

One recent discovery is Sheriff and the Ravels' "Shombalor." You need to hear it.

That's it. No track review. You just need to hear it.

Something about chickens, catfish knees, Frankenstein, and stealing wine.

I can't stop listening to it.

Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment