Thursday, June 30, 2011

On the Road for Vinyl


In my work travels I have some opportunities to go to great cities, and when the work is done do some exploring.  One of the things I've started doing is checking out the the local independent record stores. 


In Las Vegas there are many things to do and all day and night to do them, so that's why I ventured over to Record City.  They had a great selection of vinyl and it was a fun store to spend some time. It was packed with vinyl and even had CDs.   Since I was travelling the shopkeeper was very cool and gave me a travel case for the vinyl I bought. 

 


The last few days I have spent in Baltimore and what a fun city that has so many interesting areas.  One area I really liked and caught a cab over to it.  Its called Fells Point and its right outside downtown Baltimore.  What a great part of town to visit.  There are many rooftop bars, shops and lots of people just walking around enjoying the old stone walkways and views of the bay.


The Sound Garden

The Sound Garden sells new and used CDs and DVDs and also has some vinyl.  It was recently voted the 2nd best record store in the United States by Rolling Stone.  The selection and prices on CDs and DVDs were excellent and its the largest selection of Blue Note jazz CDs that I've seen in a store in a long time.



The staff was excellent and when I mentioned I'm from Knoxville and that we have an indie record store here he already knew it was The Disc Exchange.



If you love music and love exploring a city then definitely hit Fells Point in Baltimore and check out the coolest record store in Baltimore...and the 2nd coolest store in the entire United States!


Mike Smith-The ShowBiz Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment