Thursday, December 22, 2011

Big Star's offering for Christmas "Jesus Christ"

I just discovered that Alex Chilton's birthday is in a few days and four days after mine.  "September Gurls" lyric "December boys got it bad" has new meaning  to me even after all these years. 



By the way it isn't coincidental that Katie Perry's song "California Gurls" was spelled that way.  Apparently her manager is a fan of Big Star and asked Katie to spell Girls with a "u" in honor of Alex Chilton's recent passing. So she did...hot and cool is a good combination.

I thought I'd point out Big Star's relevant song to this time of year "Jesus Christ" off their 1974 recorded but 1978 released Third/Sister Lovers.  Take a listen below.  I wish there was better graphics to accompany the song.





Here is an earlier blog entry on Big Star if you want to pursue.

Mike Smith, The Showbiz Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment