Friday, June 8, 2012

Bonnaroo 2012 Day One (CBS News)



(CBS News) Day one of Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival got under way Thursday with a few of the festival's most-buzzed about artists.

 



Festival organizers opened gates four hours earlier to accommodate the crowds looking to set up camp early.



Read more: Bonnaroo 2012 gets rolling in Tennessee




Day one found garage rock band Alabama Shakes closing out the evening on the biggest stage, "This Tent." The group plowed through its set-list with fan favorites "Hang Loose" and "Hold On."

Rising rapper Kendrick Lamar also attracted crowds. Already named the next big thing by the likes of Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, Lamar told the Associated Press why he believes his sound has resonated with fans.

"I think it just comes from me being myself and not being scared of being myself," Lamar said before hitting the stage on Thursday. "When I talk about certain things, it's something that I want to do and I want to talk about. So when I talk about the streets or I talk about the system or I talk about life in general, all that stuff makes up me. And it comes across in how people hear. They feel it because they know it's organic, you know?"



Thursday also saw performances by rappers Danny Brown and Yelawolf, as well as rock bands Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. and White Denim.



Some 80,000 fans will touch down in Manchester, Tenn., this weekend for the 11th annual festival, which features 150-plus acts across several stages.



Friday will host performances by Radiohead, Foster the People, Feist, Ludacris and Dawes. Also playing later this weekend are Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Beach Boys, Phish, Skrillex, Alice Cooper and Bon Iver.

In 2011, crowds braved very hot temperatures and heaps of dust at the four-day music festival. This year is already shaping up to be a little more comfortable weather-wise on the 700-acre farm, with temperatures in the low to mid 80s.



Not making it to Bonnaroo this year? You can still catch some of the action on the Bonnaroo live webcam, which can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment