Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Oh Atlanta! Weekend Recap



It was another whirlwind weekend in Atlanta, but we were able to see Band of Horses and My Morning Jacket on Friday night at the Verizon Wireless Amp in Alpharetta and Phish on Saturday night at Aaron’s Amp @ Lakewood.  Both shows were fantastic in their own right, albeit different vibes at both venues.  I was impressed with Band of Horses, a band that I had not seen live before the weekend.  They had the opening slot for MMJ and I must have had an expectation for their set to be more mellow than it was, but I was pleasantly entertained.  My Morning Jacket was impressive, but I was not as familiar with as their music as I thought I was and they slowed things down quite a bit in the middle of their set until ‘Gideon’ led way to more familiar territory.  The first night was the perfect ending to a long day in the car with the family on our way down from Knoxville. 

On Saturday, I was eager to return to Aaron’s Amphitheatre (Lakewood) where the last time I saw Phish play this venue was their impressive two-night, 4th of July run back in 1999.  There were many highlights to the night for me personally.  I always enjoy ‘Ya Mar’, ‘Maze’ and ‘My Soul,’ so no complaints with the song selection in the first set other than the forced ‘Backwards Down the Number Line’ which provided a much needed bathroom break during set one.

The second set was primarily a showcase of newer tunes until ‘Free’ but the extended jam during ‘Golden Age’ was easily one of my favorite highlights of the evening.  ‘Light’ never got too far out of the driveway before the band slowed things down to make way for ‘Wading in the Velvet Sea.’  Speaking of 1999, ‘What’s The Use?’ was actually debuted at Lakewood that many years ago and ‘Joy’ gave the crowd a breather before the band shredded ‘Run Like An Antelope’ to close the set.  Next year will mark my twentieth year of seeing Phish, so I was pleased to finally see The Beatles’ ‘A Day In The Life’ as the encore.

It was a memorable weekend in Atlanta and I hate that I missed Phish in Charlotte on Sunday….talk about a sick setlist!

-Will Fisher, The Showbiz Kids     

No comments:

Post a Comment