Tuesday, June 21, 2011

New Music Tuesdays: Bon Iver's "Bon Iver"



Admittedly, I am a latecomer to the whole Bon Iver craze that has influenced sensitive guys to grow beards and periodically make treks to cabins in Wisconsin to find inspiration for love lost.

“Bon Iver” is in stores today and is more expansive than 2008’s “For Emma, Forever Ago,” an album that sold more than 300,000 copies and garnered critical acclaim from Pitchfork and Rolling Stone magazine. 

In fact, there has been so much buzz surrounding Bon Iver for the past few years that I almost feel like I did when I finally watched the “Hangover” on DVD, I guess I hoped for more but was a little “let down.” 

It’s not all doom and gloom here, folks.  Some of the more enjoyable highlights include the rhythmic “Minnesota, WI” and the Bruce Hornsby & The Range influenced  closer, “Beth/Rest.”

Without a doubt, Justin Vernon is a talented singer/songwriter in the same vein of James Taylor.  After to listening to “Bon Iver” a few times, I can say that it’s well-crafted and enjoyable as background music, but his brand of indie-folk-pop does not appeal to me and I found the majority of the album…(YAWN)…boring.

-Will Fisher
The Showbiz Kids Rating: 6 out of possible 10

No comments:

Post a Comment